smartd: 3 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200608 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Sat Aug 26 21:01:34 UTC 2006

Smartd just recently started coughing up the same errors at each boot
of my fc5/amd64 Tyan K8e system w. Seagate ST3250824AS disks.  The
long smartctl test shows no errors and the disk passes with flying
colors.  Could this be a spin-up problem where the second disk isn't
ready when it is first used and the error is misreported?

    Aug 26 13:16:15 arbol smartd[2284]: Device: /dev/sdb, 3 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
    Aug 26 13:16:15 arbol smartd[2284]: Device: /dev/sdb, 3 Offline uncorrectable sectors

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed here.  (Or is smartd reporting a
problem that occurred in antiquity and I need to somehow acknowledge
this to the disk and let it clear an error flag?)

-wolfgang