Find every instance of hostname

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Aug 26 21:25:10 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>On Saturday 26 August 2006 18:54, Craig White wrote:
>

>>> $ grep -r localhost.localdomain /etc/* > /tmp/test.txt
>>>
>>> will display standard error on screen but the stuff you want will go
>>> into the file you created
>>>

>It did.  Using the correct name on this box, the only results, though, were
>in /etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts and the
>printer definitions.  I have checked the corresponding files on the offending
>laptop, but can't see anything wrong.  I'm beginning to think that it's a
>package bug in rawhide.
>
>Anne

Check the settings in the following files:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<dev> for DHCP_HOSTNAME
This should be just the host name you want.

/etc/sysconfig/network for HOSTNAME
This should be the FQDN.

If these are not set and the hostname command still gives
"localhost.localdomain" then this is probably a hard-coded default.  You
should be able to not set DHCP_HOSTNAME and just use a generated
hostname from the DHCP server.  You also might want to retry the grep
with just localhost or just localdomain.  The search you did will only
match localhost.localdomain; not just one or the other.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce