What is the language "British"?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Aug 28 14:15:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 09:29:27AM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >I was installing FC-5 yesterday,
> >and I noticed that when asked to choose my language,
> >I was given an extensive list which included "British" but not "English".
> >
> >I never heard this language described as "British" before.
> >

> To the ignorant masses, myself included, British and English are synonymous.
>
> Perhaps you can clarify it?

I'm not sure it's capable of clarification, as there is a good 800
years (at least) of history, often bloody, and passions surrounding
the terminology. That said...

British, adj: having to do with the island of Britain, which has several
countries on it: Scotland, Wales, and England.

English, noun: A language originated in the country England. adj:
Having to do with England.

United Kingdom: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
Ireland.

Great Britain: England, Scotland and Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_%28terminology%29,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_kingdom

I agree with Mr. Murphy. I have never heard "British" as the name of a
language. I suspect there are some Scots, Welsh and Irish who might
take umbrage at the notion.