Font Size in Open Office Docs on different platforms

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Tue Aug 29 04:59:54 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 20:44 +0100, Andy Campbell wrote:
>
>> When I transfer my open office documents to other platforms the font
>> size ( rendered ) is changing, causing the formating to go wrong.  A
>> 10pt font under the Linux platform is shorter than that shown when
>> running Open Office on Windows/Solaris (Gnome).  On Linux I'm getting
>> 2 more lines per page in a text document :-)
>>

> No doubt due to different fonts on each, even if they have the same
> names.
>
> Are the lines the same widths?  Point sizing generally refers to
> characters per inch across the page.

I don't believe that is true unless it has changed since my days in
actual printing.  The character size in points refers to the size from
the highest to the lowest extent of the letters of a given type face size.

I believe the "em" is the width measure sometimes used. It represented
the width of the widest character in a font.  Usually W or M.

Characters per inch is only related to point size if the fonts are
monospace.

http://nwalsh.com/comp.fonts/FAQ/cf_8.htm
http://www.harmonize.com/probe/aids/manual/typography.htm

You also have to consider the display medium. DPI and aspect ratio of
the display device can wreak havoc on any document transfered across
systems.

--
--R