Switches/Routers That Handle IPv6

Robert L. Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 30 01:39:01 UTC 2006

Would any commercial router/switch currently on the market now be able to
handle IPv6-based packets? For example the LinkSys BEFSR81 wired
router/switch. Does it matter at all whether a switch is routing IPv4 or
IPv6 packets?

How about unmanaged switches (no combination routing there I guess) from
Dell -- they are attractively priced and I can put them on my server rack.
Would they be able to handle IPv6? I did check some of Dell's technical
documents but they don't seem to clearly specify what types of IP addresses
the switches can manage.

Thanks

Bob Cochran