Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Knute Johnson knute at frazmtn.com
Wed Aug 30 23:16:50 UTC 2006

Bob:

I just did this to my new Dell 380 box.  I got two 80GB drives with
it and WinXPPro came installed on the first drive.  I just installed
FC5 to the second drive and installed grub on the MBR of the first
drive (which is the normal place).  You will need to make sure that
you put an entry into grub.conf for the Windows partition.
Unfortunately I have to run Windows for my work or I would have
switched long ago.

You know that you can get the reinstall disks when you order a Dell
for about $10.  Too cheap not to have :-).  I've had to reload
Windows so many times I can't count them all.  It is cheap insurance.

knute...

>Charles Curley wrote:

>>> I assume the present drive is entirely formatted as a Windows partition,
>>> it's a factory install?
>>>

>> Probably. But easy enough to check:
>>
>> fdisk -l /dev/hda
>>
>XP does not recognize the command "fdisk."
>
>Now once I get Linux installed it will work.
>
>BobG
>
>PS:  Presently heavy rain has cut off my sat. signal.  I will
>send this later.
>

>>> That's why I elected to use a second drive for Linux.  The existing
>>> drive is 80G and 10G would be more than enough for XP which gets little
>>> use ...
>>>

>> Actually, you can get XP and Linux to cohabit on the same drive by
>> shrinking XP's NTFS partition(s). For the gory details of how I did
>> it, see http://www.charlescurley.com/Lenovo.R51.html.
>>
>> As for grub, I wasn't sure how to have grub boot XP, so I installed it
>> on the Linux boot partition, and have Linux as the default in XP's
>> ntdetect.com.
>>

>--

Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...