Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 23:57:57 UTC 2006

I recently purchased a Dell with preloaded XP.  This is roughly what I
needed to do:

1 - contact the manufacturer, and *insist* that since I purchased
Windows XP, that I am entitled to an installation CD (I am).  They
eventually gave in.

2 - remove all partitions (including the Dell "restore partition"),
install windows from the CD -  partition/format a suitible place for
XP to live, and leave the rest as free space.

3 - install fedora.

This might seem like a lot of work, but the XP system that Dell
pre-loaded was so full of bloatware that it was almost unuseable.
Something would pop up every 15 seconds, and heavy-duty apps (blender,
games, etc) crawled.  The "fresh" XP was (subjectively) twice as fast
as the preloaded system.

Just my 2 cents...
Chris