Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 01:30:25 UTC 2006

Chris Mohler wrote:
> I recently purchased a Dell with preloaded XP.  This is roughly what I
> needed to do:
>
> 1 - contact the manufacturer, and *insist* that since I purchased
> Windows XP, that I am entitled to an installation CD (I am).  They
> eventually gave in.
>
> 2 - remove all partitions (including the Dell "restore partition"),
> install windows from the CD -  partition/format a suitible place for
> XP to live, and leave the rest as free space.
>
> 3 - install fedora.
>
> This might seem like a lot of work, but the XP system that Dell
> pre-loaded was so full of bloatware that it was almost unuseable.
> Something would pop up every 15 seconds, and heavy-duty apps (blender,
> games, etc) crawled.  The "fresh" XP was (subjectively) twice as fast
> as the preloaded system.
>
> Just my 2 cents...
> Chris

If you want to use Norton ghost, you could make an image of your XP
installation. Then you could use the ghost image and adjust the XP
partition downward. I did this for a work computer and FC6T2 installed
fine on the freed up space. This allowed also for noth having the
headache of de-fragmenting, resizing and the like for XP and the
auxiliary partition. You also have a reliable backup in case the hard
disk crashes. You do not need to reinstall all of the service packs for
all the M$ OS and other software again either. This was on a Dell computer.

Since you are planning to use the second drive for Linux and the first
drive as XP, it might not be needed.

Jim

--
Moore's Constant:
	Everybody sets out to do something, and everybody