kbuildsycoca problem?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 1 15:08:02 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 04:47, Anne Wilson wrote:

I put the list back in the to: line, maybe someone else can decode where
I'm going all aglay here.

>On Friday 01 December 2006 06:20, you wrote:
>> root at coyote ~]# mv ~/.config/menus ~/config/menus.BAK
>> mv: cannot move `/root/.config/menus' to `/root/config/menus.BAK': No
>> such file or directory
>
>Missing dot?  'to ~/.config/menus.BAK'

Humm, looked it up in the history and you are right.  But it didn't make
any difference, and the menu's own editor is a no-op when you right click
on it.  It doesn't even turn the mouse pointer into a busy pointer.

In /root/.config, re-running kbuildsycocoa --noincremental does not
generate a new menus subdir, a tree or ls listing returns:

[root at coyote .config]# tree
.
|-- gtk-2.0
|   `-- gtkfilechooser
`-- menus.BAK

2 directories, 1 file
[root at coyote .config]# ls
gtk-2.0  menus.BAK
[root at coyote .config]#

And menus.BAK is an empty directory.  I suspect I'm barking up the wrong
tree here, and the 3.5.5 version of kde has moved its K-menu file.

Now, trying to get creative here, I just did this at 9:48 localtime:

root at coyote ~]# kbuildsycoca --noincremental
kbuildsycoca running...
[root at coyote ~]# ls -laR|grep 'Dec  1'|grep kde
drwx------  2 root root 4096 Dec  1 01:55 kdesktop
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  384 Dec  1 01:55 kdewallet.kwl
-rw------- 1 root root  4937 Dec  1 09:48 kdeglobals
-rw------- 1 root root   244 Dec  1 01:55 kdesktoprc
drwx------   5 root root      4096 Dec  1 09:36 kde
-rw-------   1 root root    163619 Dec  1 09:36 .kde.index
-rw-r--r--   1 root root      1317 Dec  1 09:36 .kde.index.ids
[root at coyote ~]#

So kdeglobals is the only file carrying that timestamp.
Now to find it:
[root at coyote Desktop]# ls -l `locate kdeglobals`
-rw------- 1  502  502 3589 May 30
2002 /home/elmer/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals
-rw------- 1 gene gene 3630 Nov 19
22:53 /home/gene/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals
-rw------- 1  502  502 3589 May 30
09:51 /root/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals <--this one?  Nope.
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1253 Sep 30 17:08 /usr/share/config/kdeglobals
[root at coyote Desktop]#

But, why has the timestamp been incremented, and why does it look as if it
has nothing to do with K-menus when looked at with less?

And I just used up that cup of coffee's IQ enhancement effect.  AKA I'm
stumped again.  I feel like I should revert about 68 years and
holler "Mommy, I want my kmenus back again!  Now!"

So if anyone else has any insight to share, share away!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)