Port 8000

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Dec 1 17:05:21 UTC 2006

Eli Barzilay wrote:
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> writes:
>

>> On 01Dec2006 00:45, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>> | I noticed that something is listening on port 8000, but I can't find
>> | out what.  All I've seen is that netcat-ting to it almost always
>> | closes the connection after reading 12 bytes.  Does anybody know
>> | what's listening on that port?  Is there a way to find out?  (I tried
>> | netstat and lsof, no useful information there.)
>>
>> Did you try this?
>>
>>   netstat -anp | grep 8000
>>
>> You need to be root to use the -p otpion, but it tells you the
>> program owning the port.
>>

> Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> writes:
>

>> you can also use lsof
>>
>> sudo lsof -i | grep 8000
>>

> Thanks & Thanks -- both helped.  Now that I know what it is -- is it
> common for `nasd' to run on port 8000?  Looking at the config files in
> both /etc/nas and /etc/sysconfig/nasd, I don't see any port setting to
> change.  Is this thing even needed (assuming I don't need remote
> audio)?

I don't have it installed on anything.  I do have a story about it though:

Several years ago we installed it in all of our SUN desktops (over 100
systems) throughout the building we were in.

The fire marshal on our floor received a red plastic fireman's hat as a
gag gift.  That hat had the most annoying siren on it that any of us had
ever heard.  So, of course, we recorded a bit of it, looped it, and
played it throughout the building using nasd.

The help desk lit up like a Christmas tree.  It was the best office gag
we ever saw.  The sound echoed down the halls on every floor.

We had regular fire drills in that facility, so no one was concerned
about an alarm type situation.

Management was present and informed prior to procedure.  It was a good
laugh for all.