Problems installing from DVD?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Dec 1 20:09:05 UTC 2006

I have a new system which I'm using for testing, and installing
repeatedly. The first install worked, subsequent installs haven't worked
properly after the install was complete. I'm testing some xen stuff, and
it seems to leave the files in an undefined state.

After much testing, verifying sha256sum, and a BIOS upgrade, I
remembered hearing that there was a problem installing from DVD but not
CDs, but that may be folklore or FC5 "old news." In any case the first
install was from CD and worked until the next install, the DVD installs
all complete and run anything but xen in hvm mode for days, but botch
when running xen. Whatever happens leaves the machine unbootable from
disk until reinstall.

Coincidence, or is there really some difference and problem with the DVD
install?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a