Problems with ipw2200 wireless in FC6

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Dec 1 20:50:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:

> Hi, people
>
> I have a centrino notebook with intel ipw2200 wireless card. Almost
> every time I cold-boot this computer, the card is shown as
> __tmp1804289383 or something like that instead of eth1. It is not in an
> usable state when this happens. If I just reboot, the card is then
> correctly shown as eth1 and works ok. Restarting the network and/or
> NetworkManager services do not correct the problem. So, I always have to
> boot and then reboot to get the wirless card working. This did not
> happen in FC5.
>
>[...]
>
> When the card is shown as __tmp1804289383 and I command ifup eth1, I get:
> ipw2200 device eth1 seems not to be present; delaying initialization
>

> Why is this happening? How can I get wireless working after the first boot?

Try this (from http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc6_setup.shtml#net):

make sure the network service is on (on by default)
create the file /etc/iftab containing

   eth0 mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
   eth1 mac YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

where X's and Y's are the MAC addresses of your wired and wireless cards,
resp.

Let us know if it works for you.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman