Unable To Boot From a Fedora Core 6 DVD Disk

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 2 18:33:59 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 09:43 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Saturday 02 December 2006 8:04 am, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >     I was able to use a Fedora Core 6 DVD disk that I created and load
> > it into a Windows laptop that belongs to a friend and found that it
> > boots fine into Linux.  The problem sees to be with my own laptop. I
> > already have Fedora Core 6 loaded on it.  The laptop is an IBM  ThinkPad
> > T-30. I have an NEC-CD-RW/DVD+RW Drive which I bought recently for this
> > laptop.  However, whenever I put the disk into my drive to boot from it,
> > it only boots to the hard drive. Would this have anything to do with
> > Anaconda? I already have changed the bios settings that would allow the
> > laptop to boot from the cd-drive. Has anyone else had this problem and
> > if so, how do I correct it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> I have a similar problem with my Athlon 1100 home-built machine. It just
> refuses to boot to DVD, although it'll boot to CD just fine. I know that on
> the KUBuntu DVD, there's a boot image you can put on a floppy and boot from
> the floppy to then boot a DVD. I'm guessing that would work with Fedora as
> well.
> 	John

Hi, John,
Check your bios settings.  Since you built your machine, you probably
have the MB manual, and it may provide you some additional information.
I have one machine that you have to select the drives and order for the
bios to boot from.  It can boot from USB, DVD, CD, HDA (I think that was
the designation), and some others if you set them up in the bios first.
It just keeps getting more an more complicated.  Firewire, USB,
Bluetooth, WIFI, Ethernet, IDE, SATA, SCSII, and other options may exist
on some machines depending on peripherals and bios capabilities.

Regards,
Les H