new member

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Dec 3 22:58:58 UTC 2006

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Hello.
> I joined a couple weeks ago. I'm rather new to linux - been using it
> since about March. I used SUSE for a bit, but soon switched to Fedora
> Core (I have FC 6). I chose gnome - apparently it's not as Windowsish as
> kde.
>
> I have several issues to discuss. My most pressing is trying to get
> email on a dial-up connection (pop/smtp to a standard ISP) working
> fully. (Btw, I have dsl; the dial-up is for another location.) I don't
> really think that it's Fedora's fault - more like the emailer's config.
> (I use Thunderbird). I had SUSE 10.0 on that machine, and used Evolution
> - it was working fine.
>
> But, since I put FC6 on it, I'm having a really tough time getting it to
> send emails (I even tried Evolution). So, does anyone have that setup,
> and is it working?

There are two ways to do it. One is to let Thunderbird to both get
your email, and send it. It is easy to set up. You can find step by
step guides by using the help menu. (You have to be connected to the
Internet.) The drawback is that it is hard to automate it to
get/send messages automatically when you connect to the Internet.

The other way is to use Fetchmail to get your mail, and Postfix,
Sendmail, or some other SMTP program to send your mail. Fetchmail is
fairly easy to set up, but configuring the SMTP program can be a
challenge, depending on your ISP, and how much information you have.

You may also want to check your ISP's web site. They may have a
guide to setting up Thunderbird for use with their mail servers.
Without more information, it is hard to give you specific information.

Mikkel