Duplicating DVDs

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 4 17:54:42 UTC 2006

Alessandro Brezzi:
>> Again speakìng of video DVD, the format is differen from that of a data
>> DVD: even if you put in this only two directories audio_ts and video_ts
>> with the data inside, your player refuse to play the resulting disc.

Anne Wilson:

> I'm not sure if you are speaking of something different, but I have made
> second copies of home-mastered DVDs simply by burning those audio_ts and
> video_ts files onto a new disk.  I've never had a problem playing them.

They're supposed to be uppercase directory and filenames (I've, at
least, one player that requires it).  Also, the first file to be read is
supposed to be at the beginning of the disc.  You'd want the files to be
written to the disc in order of play, so the laser mechanism doesn't
have to hunt very far as it goes from one file to the next (some are
awfully slow at doing that.  There's also some issue about padding.

A burning program with a DVD-video creation option ought to take care of
all that for you, just dumping files onto a disc in the hope that it'll
work is taking pot luck.  It doesn't work well with some players.

--
(Currently running FC5, still running FC4, wasn't impressed with FC6...