Totem=noshow

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 18:50:00 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 17:40, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 09:15 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 12:06 +0000, Leo wrote:
> > > It is very confusing to newbies. We shouldn't make totem the universal
> > > player.
> >
> > Here here! Amen! Can we have a halleluah?? It's been hated for a long
> > time, so I have no clue why it continues to be pushed onto us. I guess
> > we need to raise the volume a bit. Ric
>
> Halleluah?  :)
>
> I've never had any luck with totem, even with the proper stuff
> installed.  I don't think this is restricted to licensing issues,
> notwithstanding further branches on this thread.

This is for those who don't have to deal with USA law. :-)

Last week someone kindly told me about gst-fluendo-mp3-ipp.  This is a
proprietary package, which has to be bought from http://shop.fluendo.com/ at
a price of £0.00.  I installed this and totem is suddenly able to play
my .avi files.  I haven't tried many other formats, but I'm told it can
handle most common ones.

Anne