/var Filesystem Space

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Tue Dec 5 04:57:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 12:56 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> I might have come up with a basic 'rule of thumb'.  The initial updates,
> with everything selected, came up to the size of a standard CD - 650MB
> (actually 634MB exactly).  So if your /var filesystem doesn't have 750MB
> available, don't even start the update until after that has been rectified.

Actually, this also depends on how you are going to use your Fedora
system. The distribution tends to use /var for a ton of stuff. For
example, if you are running a web server, your web pages go
into /var/www/html; if you are running a SMTP server, then your mail
spool is there too (do NOT underestimate the amount of disk space this
can take up -- I've had a badly written php script fill the spool up
with over 10 Gigs or stuff); and your logs also go inside there -- which
can fill up pretty quickly if you have a system or application problem.

Typically, I would divide up the disk space sparingly for /home, /, and
of course /boot, and give the rest to /var. For desktops and laptops, I
generally go with the default partitioning -- which is /boot and the
rest to /.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

pascal chong