No Reverse DNS Entry for host : error returned by a perticular domain .sancharnet.in

Brandon Vanderberg brandon at vanderberg.net
Tue Dec 5 10:27:31 UTC 2006

thomas wrote:
>> From our mail server mail is going to all except mail destined to
> .sancharnet.in. We are getting below error -
>
> Error "Connected to 61.1.64.46 but sender was rejected.
> Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 No Reverse DNS Entry for host:
> 202.141.41.XY : authoritative host not found."
>

> Sancharnet mail demon checking is at 61.1.128.46 & the  routers are at
> our office has public IP address 02.141.41.XY
>
> What can be done from our end to resolve this problem .If some one has
> ever faced this problem before, all suggestions are highly welcome.

You'll have to talk with your ISP about getting a reverse entry. Many
mail servers these days refuse to accept mail from a server without one.
Note, it doesn't have to match your domain name, just as long as there
is a reverse entry.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/info/revdns.htm - good reverse dns explanation

On the other hand, an easier route is to use a relay host. Your ISP
should have an SMTP relay you can use for outbound mail. This will allow
you to hand off your mail to them and they'll take care of the rest.

Either of these will resolve your issue.

Regards,

Brandon