XML visual editor

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 10:29:09 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> Kirk Lowery wrote:
> > On 12/4/06, ArcosCom Linux User <linux at arcoscom.com> wrote:
> >> Does anybody known any XML editor for linux?
> >>
> >> Something as XMLSpy (under Windows).
> >
> > I use <oXygen/>, http://www.oxygenxml.com/, a full-featured XML
> > editor, handling schemas, xslt, with an xslt debugger and many other
> > features. It's written in java and can be installed on nearly any
> > platform or with an Eclipse plugin. I use it daily on all my machines
> > at home and work: Mac G4 Powerbook, Windows XP or Fedora Core 6.
> >
> > It's very reasonably priced.
> >
> > A (very) satisfied user,
> >
> > Kirk
> >
> This appears to be a commercial product, got a suggestion for FOSS
> software that would allow redistribution? I'd love to have a good tool
> for user group talks, but it's hard to do when the software can't be
> handed out after the talk. I can do the talk, donate my time and a few
> burned CDs of software as a public service, but I sure can't donate
> legal licensed copies.

I've looked (although I've not done a comprehensive survey recently),
and there is no FOSS XML editor that even comes close to <oXygen/> in
terms of functionality. It is one of the few commercial programs I
use. I agree that it's a pain, if you want to demo its use and
encourage others to use it, although there is a trial version you
could use.

But for doing industrial-strength XML/XSLT, I've found nothing else better.

Kirk