How to configure wireless network card

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Dec 5 15:56:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
>> Did you "chkconfig NetworkManager on" (so it starts at boot) and
>> "chkconfig netowrk off" (so NM manages the network) and "service network
>> stop" and "service NetworkManager start"?
>
> I didn't chkconfig NM on, I just ran "service NetworkManager restart".
> Does it really have to start at boot-time?

It doesn't really, but IMO the most useful operational mode (for a laptop,
at least) is to have it start at boot so it can connect on login.  (There
was some discussion of supporting a mode that would connect on startup
without logging in.  Not sure what the status of that feature is.)

> Also I didn't stop the network service,
> since it does not say one should do that in what little documentation
> accompanies NM in Fedora.
>
> I'll try both.

It may no longer be necessary, but it couldn't hurt to not run the regular
network service when running NM.  You can probably start the network
service, but you should set the interfaces to not start at boot.  Having
them up will almost surely confuse NM.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences