Fedora and reinstalling Windows

Grumpy_Penguin grumpypenguin at qwest.net
Wed Dec 6 05:12:05 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 14:59, Arghavan Sabahi wrote:
> Hi,
>   Some time ago I installed Fedora Core 4 on my PC with your great help.
> Everything was fine until when I decided to reinstall Windows XP. I
> formated the two partitions which were for windows' use and reinstalled it.
> But didn't format or make any changes to the single partition for Fedora.
> Since then there is nor any sign of Fedora where it should be, just after
> booting, neither even any sign of that single partition. Now that I need
> that partition too and prefer to have just Windows on this PC, how can I
> return it back to its former condition? Besides, since then I am facing
> with error messages expressing incosistency. May it be because of this
> mistake? Anyway, thank you for your ever assistance and advices.
>   cheerfulaya
This is a famous W$ problem/feature. The installation of windows overwrites
the master boot record.
If windows is installed first then install linux ...Then lilo or grub is smart
enough to recognize the other operating system...windows ain't that smart
So reinstall windows using all the space also you might want to get a copy of
UBCD
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
It's not a big download