local DNS server

Steffen Kluge kluge at dotnet.org
Wed Dec 6 15:20:59 UTC 2006

On 07/12/2006, at 1:14 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> There is a bit more to it then that, but that is the basics. How
> long your local name server will keep the information is controlled
> by several things. It will not keep it over a reboot,

It will, if setup that way. It is trivial to dump the BIND cache to a
file on shutdown and load that file on restart.

> and most DNS
> entries have a TTL value.

All DNS records have a TTL.

(just a couple of minor corrections)

Apart from that, I found that a local caching-only name server is
particularly useful on mail servers, as well as any server that is
set up to write hostnames (rather than IP addresses) to its logs.

For a client-only box you'll get by with nscd.

Cheers
Steffen.