*ALMOST* longing for Windows stability

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 6 15:23:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 09:11 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 21:36 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> >> About an hour ago, I logged off my kde session. My LCD monitor
> >> immediately went to a black screen - with no way of logging back in -
> >> when the session ended.
> >>
> >> It took me 8 (eight) times going through a reboot process before I could
> >> get FC5 to present me with a login screen. The first 7 times, I got
> >> either a black screen or an "Out of Range" error. Finally, it presented
> >> me with a login screen and I was able to get the system up.
> >>
> >> I *KNOW* this isn't typical ... if it were, no one on the face of the
> >> planet would be running Fedora. Unfortunately, that doesn't make my life
> >> any easier - it is happening here.
> >>
> >> There are some real experts here. I know, they've helped me out with
> >> other problems. Does anyone know how to fix this? While a real fix is
> >> what's needed, even a bypass - a way to get back to a login screen when
> >> the system is acting up - would be a tremendous improvement.
> > ----
> > crystal ball cloudy - try again later
>
> I like that.
> Seriously, I was *HOPING* someone was going to jump in with a comment
> like "That's a known bug ... just ?????? and it will go away." I'm
> seldom that lucky, but you can never be sure.
>

> > in the meantime, perhaps you would want to quote relevant portions
> > of /etc/X11/xorg.conf - the sections about Monitor, Device and Screen
> > would probably be appropriate
>
> Here we are:
> Section "Monitor"
>
>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>         ModelName    "19''"
>         DisplaySize  340        270
>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>         HorizSync    24.0 - 80.0
>         VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>         Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
----
this should be OK...my sync rates are...

        HorizSync    30.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh  55.0 - 75.0
----

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "radeon"
>         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>         BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc R200 BB [Radeon All in Wonder
> 8500DV]"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     16
>                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
>         EndSubSection
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>                 Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
----
this seems to be a problem for a 19" LCD... I have set only...

                Modes    "1280x1024"
on this last line.
----
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection

----
perhaps just make a backup copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit the
original. Many LCD monitors aren't capable of running at resolutions
other than the one the default and I would think that the proper
resolution for a 19" LCD is 1280x1024

Craig