Fail to start FC6

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 08:26:19 UTC 2006

Hi Mogens,

> Looks like a hardware problem.

Yes, you are correct. This is a new FC6 box, with installation
completed about 12 hours before.  It was running without problem.

Today on starting this box it failed.  Finally I found the problem
coming from the cable connecting the graphic card to monitor not
securely fixed.  From that time onwards it failed to boot.

I have another HD on this box running on WinXP.  Before fixing the
cable problem it also failed to boot.  Now the problem on WinXP gone,
leaving FC6 before un-fixed.

> Try booting from the installation media in rescue mode
> or from a Knoppix cd.
>
>  From there it is possible to do an "fdisk -l".

OK

> Before fsck'ing I would test the hardware:
>
> If the drive has SMART, see what
>
> smartctl -a /dev/hda
>
> tells you.
>
> Run a test on the drive with:
>
> smartctl -t long /dev/hda
>
> and after the test has finished, see what
>
> smartctl -a /dev/hda
>
> gives of information.

Whether run above command on Knoppix or on rescue mode of the FC6-CD

I tried on login as root but seems "smartctl -t long /dev/hda" did not
work.

Besides pls advise how to copy the output to a file and save the latter
on floppy?  If login as root can I mount floopy?  TIA

Others noted with tks.

B.R.
Stephen

Furthermore this is new box.  Would reinstallation of FC6 be easier?
Tks.