[Fedora] USB harddisks: reliable?

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Thu Dec 7 17:35:00 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com> wrote:

> a) Is this a USB powered drive, or a self-powered one?
[...]
> Now, if everything is self-powered and you're still having problems,
> then something else is happening and it's hard to point a finger at any
> one particular thing.

The drive has its own power supply, so it must that hard to determine
something else.

> b) If you've maxed out the SATA ports on your board, you can always
> get a SATA card with additional ports and continue to add more drives,
> either internal or external.

I already have one SATA card in the box, in addition to the SATA
interface on the MB. Last summer I tried to add a 2nd SATA card, but I
ran into some kind of BIOS limitation, which restricts the number of
IDE/SATA drives one can run off the MB. At least, the was the
explanation of the vendor. Apparently some of the newer MBs support
more drives. My MB is an Asus P4P8X which I bought in the spring of
2004.

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam