Resizing an LVM volume to make way for XP install?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Dec 8 16:04:10 UTC 2006

Whil Hentzen wrote:
>> Once you resize /home, you'll need to shrink the underlying PV using
>> "pvresize".  You can then take the freed-up space and make it a normal
>> partition using gparted or something similar.  The next trick...making
>> sure that that space is not beyond the dread 1024 cylinder mark for your
>> boot loader.
>
> Took a while to play around with this.... finally decided that I wasn't
> going to make it work and STILL have the space < 1024. So I rebuilt the
> machine from scratch.
>
> Now I've got an empty LV partition starting at 277 or something like
> that. My other partitions are beyond that. My plan is to wipe out the LV
> partition and put XP in there. (It's 10 GB so that should be enough <s>.)

You will probably want a layout something like this:
/boot
Windows XP
Linux LVM

The boot partition is small - depending on how many kernels you plan
on having at one time, something around 32M - 50M should do it. The
advantage is that your boot loader, kernel, and initrd are all where
the BIOS can be used to load them. That way, you do not have to
worry about the 1024 cylinder limit. (It is not a problem with most
modern BIOS anyway.)

Mikkel