Webcam with FC6

Mike Zingale zingale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 18:47:11 UTC 2006

Keith, I have, I believe, the same camera. You need to install the
SPCA driver for it -- this is not part of the mainline kernel.  The
following worked for me:

wget http://drpixel.tuxfamily.org/fedora/drpixel-release-1-1.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh drpixel-release-1-1.noarch.rpm
yum install --enablerepo=drpixel kmod-gspca

in aMSN, if you use a NAT/router, you need to open ports 6890-6900 for
the camera to work.  I believe I also had to do this in the fedora
firewall.

Mike

> I have read that the Logitech Quickcam Chat web cam works 'out of the
> box' with Linux. So I have bought one. Unfortunately, I can't get it
> to work in Linux, let alone 'out of the box'! It works extremely well
> with XP and Windows Live Messenger.

> The camera active light is on, but no Linux programs appear to be able
> to find it. The camera is plugged into a USB socket on the back of
> the computer.

[snip]