xawtv and framebuffer address (was: Show-stopper for me - partially solved)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat Dec 9 13:15:12 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> From a Linspire list I found:
>
> I used this program to fix a configuration problem with xawtv. My xawtv was
> not displaying any video, just a black screen with sound. To diagnose the
> problem, I ran xawtv from an xterm window and observed the following
> messsages: WARNING: Your X-Server has no DGA support. WARNING: couldn't find
> framebuffer base address, try manual configuration ("v4l-conf -a ") I opened
> up the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log and searched for the term "framebuffer"
> until I found the line "Linear framebuffer (phys) at 0xc0000000". Then,
> logged in as root, I ran the command "v4l-config -a 0xc0000000" from the
> xterm window. Now xawtv works fine although I still get that second warning
> line about "DGA" support.
>
> Slight adjustment needed - the file that needs editing is v4l.conf, not
> v4l.config, and the framebuffer address is found in Xorg.0.log.

Hi Anne and everyone,

I am getting the same error message with xawtv:

  WARNING: couldn't find framebuffer base address, try manual
         configuration ("v4l-conf -a <addr>")

Following the instructions above, I searched Xorg.0.log but I don't
find anything which looks useful. The only line which includes
"framebuffer" is this one:

(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32

I've have a Hauppauge PVR-150 card and I am running FC6 with kernel
2.6.18-1.2849. My video card is a nVidia GeForce4 with the nvidia
driver packages loaded:

$ rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.9629-1.lvn6
kmod-nvidia-1.0.9629-1.2.6.18_1.2849.fc6

Anyone have any other ideas on how to determine the framebuffer
address? I really hope to get xawtv working. (tvtime alas doesn't
support PVR cards AFAICT; mplayer is a bit too arcane.)

Thanks.

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam