nvidia sucks again ! Was recent wine crashes fc6 sessions

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Sat Dec 9 23:34:23 UTC 2006

I found the problem !    The problem is that the nvidia 9629  driver
crashes when wine is used.  Its discussed here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2521068

To fix this, I installed nvida driver 8776 thus uninstalling driver
9629.

This is yet another example of how NVIDIA's driver sucks.

I spent about 2 hours troubleshooting thinking the problem lied in
sreccvt and wine !

Once I had an inkling that it was nvidia, I decided to revert back to an
older version of the driver.  And it fixed the problem.

Thanks, Nvidia, for wasting another 3 hours of my life !

Oh, and by the way...

1) one cannot be running X when one builds the nvidia driver.
(Previously someone told me I didn't have to build nvidia drivers from
the command line, I could run the nvidia driver included with the kernel
and then I could build them from my X session.  That is wrong.)

2) Livna doesn't have version 8776 of the driver for download.  Another
time when Livna was NOT a solution to the Nvidia driver problem.  (I DO
support livna's efforts, I am not knocking them.)

3) Yes livna has other versions of the nvidia driver, ie 9631, but its
BETA as far as I can tell.  I don't care to debug any more of nvidia's
new drivers !

4) And lest anyone say that I am the only one frustrated with the Nvidia
driver situation, the ODSL survey concluded "The top desktop priorities
that users want developers to work on are, in order of importance:
open-source drivers, cross-distribution Linux desktop standards, and
improved wireless support."

/rant off

Don't get me wrong !  I still love Fedora and Linux.  I just hate this
nvidia driver situation because it has caused me so much grief over the
years and cost me so much time.  Like today, for instance !

Out.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.