USB to Serial assignemts?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Dec 10 02:08:19 UTC 2006

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> How does Fedora assign which USB to serial adapter is assigned
> /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1 etc through a reboot?
>
> I basically want to make sure that one specific USB adapter remains at
> one location throughout a reload and unfortunately the on board serial
> port doesn't work (hardware problem)
>
> Thanks..Jeff

I believe it assigns them in the order it finds them when scanning
the bus. Changing where the adapter is plugged in, ro plugging in
another serial device can change that. You may want to consider
creating a udev rule that creates a symlink to that serial adapter
with a meaningful name. I do this with the serial adapter for my
GPS. (Actually, this is my old rule. I am working on having it tell
gpsd that it was added/removed, and supporting more then one
device.) If you have more then one device with the same vender and
product ID, you can also test the serial number.

KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="067b",
SYSFS{idProduct}=="aaa0", SYMLINK+="gps"

Mikkel