graphics/video stuff (again)..

Ted Gervais ve1drg at av.eastlink.ca
Sun Dec 10 19:15:37 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 16:57 +0000, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:18:36 -0400, Ted Gervais wrote:
>
> > I have been slaving away here trying to get video stuff working in Mozilla
> > with fc6.  I read all I could read about totem and mplayer etc., and
> > installed everything I could get my hands on.  But still no video from
> > www.cnn.com web pages.  I like to watch those video news shots that they
> > have there, and so far no luck.
> >
> > And than, I switched browsers.  I brought up konqueror and bingo.  I have
> > great video on all those video scenes that www.cnn.com
> > provides..  Wow.  Really nice.
> > So I went back to Mozilla and I don't get any video but I do get a message
> > saying "no picture".  But I have the audio just fine.  And also something
> > else - I no longer get that 'totem' message that says something about totem
> > not being able to find the 'mms' driver to play this video.
> >
> > So, I have made some progress but I was wondering how close I am to getting
> > Mozilla to work like Konqueror?  I think I am close but what more do I need
> > to do to get mozilla working like konqueror.??
> >
> > Thanks..
> >
> > ---
> > Ted Gervais,
> > Coldbrook, Nova Scotia, Canada
> >

> Can you play the cnn videos directly with mplayer at the prompt?
> Open a shell, and firefox. Try to play a cnn video from within firefox,
> while at the prompt do a
>
> ps auxfwww | grep mplayer
>
> You should see something like
>
> mplayer -wid 0x3a045de -vf scale=468:-3 -osdlevel 0 -nojoystick -noconsolecontrols -cookies -slave -user-agent NSPlayer -nomouseinput -cache 512 mms://wmscnn.stream.aol.com.edgestreams.net/cnn/tech/2006/12/10/zarrella.shuttle.launch.CNN.ws.wmv
>
> You can then stop the clip in firefox. Try then at the prompt
>
> mplayer mms://wmscnn......

I just had a look using ps auxfwww | grep mplayer  and I don't see
anything about mplayer at all???  That was with Mozilla running.  And I
don;t see it with konqueror either but the video works in konqueror just
fine.??

BUT!!   I just copied your line you have above using mms:// etc etc  and
I ran that using mplayer and it worked fine!!

So - what gives?   Mplayer is working.  But mozilla is not calling it?
Or something like that.  If it works at the command line than I am
missing something with mozilla????

--
Ted Gervais
2381 Loretta Ave.,