local DNS server

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 11 03:41:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 12:34 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I've heard that one could run a local DNS server to speed up internet
> access. Does this have a real-world advantage for a home user?

It can, if your ISP's DNS servers are crap (some are - my last couple of
ISP's were).

> As I understand it, the first time I go to www.example.com it would
> have to contact the ISP's DNS servers to find the address, so there is
> not advantage, but the next time it should be cached. Is this
> accurate?

That's true.  The same thing applies to the ISP's DNS servers.  If
you're looking up addresses that no-one else has, or if it's cached data
has been purged in the meantime.

Of course, your subsequent queries are going to get faster responses,
and if the server is on your network, that's going to be faster than
your ISP's, especially if you're on dial-up.

Another advantage is if you run a network of computers.  You can
dispense with messing with the hosts files on all of them.

--
Test running FC6 & FC5, and still using FC4.
I delete all private mail, unseen.  I read from the list.