Grub problem with SATA drives

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 11 03:43:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 17:39 +0100, Pedro Bezunartea Lopez wrote:
> I have a strange problem with grub. I had fedora installed on a SATA
> drive, 7th partition. I started to have problems with the disk so I got a
> new one. I forgot to buy the SATA cable so, for a few days I replaced the
> bad disk with the new one, doing a fresh install, this time on the 5th
> partition. No problems there. Then, when I connected both disks at the
> same time a strange boot problem appeared.
>
> The symptom is that hd0 is sdb and hd1 is sda. This has taken me a while
> to figure out. I even did a new clean installation with both disks
> connected. The installation took sda as the new disk and sdb as the old
> one, as expected, but when I tried to reboot, the word "GRUB" filled the
> screen and it did not boot.

You, now, have two SATA drives plugged in at the same time?  For
interest's sake, what happens if you swap their data connectors around?
I would have expected something like that to be the solution.

--
Test running FC6 & FC5, and still using FC4.
I delete all private mail, unseen.  I read from the list.