opera

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 11:58:33 UTC 2006

On 11/12/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 21:51 +0100, roland wrote:
> > But why whould I open the email in another emailclient, when I have
> > the text as it is in a .ps file, which is very readable, which I can
> > transform very easely into .pdf and/or send to a printer.
>
> If you keep your mail in a recognised mail format (mailbox, maildir,
> etc.), then you can do all the things with it that a *decent* mailer
> provides, quite easily (reply, search through stored mail, sort in
> different ways, print it, etc.).  But if you transpose it into some
> other format, you limit what you can do with it.
>
> I've been down that path before, of wanting to store messages in a way
> that didn't make me dependent on a particular client, or PC.  Anything
> other than a decent mail client was a chore.  You had to manually save
> everything you wanted to keep, or thought you might want to keep, sort
> it, and whatnot.  These days I use a local IMAP server, and with an
> ordinary mail client on any local PC, I can find and read anything I've
> kept over the last few years.
>
> Now I've got a new chore coming up soon:  Upgrading the mail server box
> without losing that.  Not looking forward to it...

Which IMAP server do you use? I've been contemplating that for a long time.

@roland: ps is not an email format. Keep your emails in an email
format. Trust me on that one. You don't need to risk accidental
corruption. If you open an mbox file in a text editor, you can read
your email. You will see the header as well, but the text of the email
is 100% readable. HTML mail is another animal: you will see the HTML
code.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/426/rem.php