FC6 Madwifi and NM

Adam Hough ahough at lsu.edu
Mon Dec 11 22:49:22 UTC 2006

As I said earlier in another thread.  I find that wpa_supplicant works
better then NM when using a madwifi (atheros) chipset.

My setup:

I use kwifimanager to display signal strength.

I use this to manage the network profile.
yum install wpa_supplicant-gui

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group="{ put wheel or your userid ow the user group or
something like this to allow normal users to modify the wireless}"
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="any"
        key_mgmt=NONE
}

/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
# wlan0 and wifi0
# INTERFACES="-iwlan0 -iwifi0"
INTERFACES="-iath0"
# ndiswrapper and prism
# DRIVERS="-Dndiswrapper -Dprism"
DRIVERS="-Dmadwifi"

/usr/local/bin/dhclient.ath0
/sbin/dhclient -q -lf /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-ath0.leases
-pf /var/run/dhclient-ath0.pid ath0

chmod 744 /usr/local/bin/dhclient.ath0

echo "/sbin/dhclient -q -lf /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-ath0.leases
-pf /var/run/dhclient-ath0.pid ath0" >> /etc/rc.local

--
Adam Hough
High Performance Computing
ahough at lsu.edu