scim and transliteration

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue Dec 12 01:29:22 UTC 2006

[responding to an old posting in June just for the record since I
believe this is a common question]

François Patte wrote:
> I have found "latin pre" and "latin post" virtual keyboard but they do
> not provide all composed letters I need. Is it possible to add some
> composed letters?

Yes, you can do that by modifying or probably better making a new map
based on those files.

> There is also an "unicode" and "utf-8" keyboard: is there a
> configuration method of scim which could allow to define keyboard short
> cuts giving the letter corresponding to a code; for example, I define
> "Alt a" short cut with u+0101 and get a lowercase a-macron, "Alt A" will
> give uppercase a macron, and so on.

No GUI available for that yet, but again you can define the binding in a
m17n input map file as above.

Jens