FC6 Madwifi and NM

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Tue Dec 12 02:02:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 23:02 +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Running D-link G650 on my laptop.

Does that card have Super-G support (i.e. 108 Mbps)?  If it does, what
kind of speeds are you getting?  I have not been able to get more than
2.0 MBps (16 Mbps).  This is really disappointing - I was expecting at
least 30 Mbps, maybe 50 Mbps.  I've checked the cards rate, and even
though iwlist reports 54 Mbps, "iwpriv ath0 rate11g" always says 18.
Changing it to 54 doesn't help.

> 1) signal strenght is much lower than in Windows (let us say 45% when
> Windows says excellent)

I'm having the same problem with a D-Link WNA-2330.  I cannot get a
signal stronger than 50%.  I did a couple of times manage 75%, but I
don't remember if it was something I did, or just a fluke.

> 2) I am experiencing frequent disconnections from my net

I have experienced disconnects as well, but not very many.  However,
each disconnect has happened when I've been working only a few feet away
from my D-Link WBR-2310.

> 3) I am running WPA but if I want to get IP number from my router
> DHCP, no way to connect to my network (it works in Windows)

Don't know about this one since I don't use the dhcp server in the
d-link.  I instead use the dhcp server on my ipcop firewall (the wifi is
isolated from my wired network - in ipcop speak, the LAN network is
Green, and the Wifi network is Blue).

> Are these points connected to madwifi or to NM?? (everything is
> updated to tonich releases rpm's

I never considered that NetworkManager could be the culprit.  I'll have
to try out the connection without NetworkManager.

Regards,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu