Monitor destroyed by install

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net ols6000 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 03:28:51 UTC 2006

At 06:19 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
>I also wonder how you determined that it's the digital video input stage
>of the monitor with a fault.  And even if so, that's not going to be a
>frequency dependent issue, that's just going to be input voltage issues.

Because the VGA input of the same monitor works. And, the digital
input works too, but only if you fool the video card into thinking
there's a digital monitor plugged in. My conclusion is that the
monitor is no longer sending back the "I am a digital monitor" signal
on the DVI cable.

As far as the freqency dependence, I'm just quoting from the monitor
manual. The monitor itself is high quality, and it's not just a
coincidence that it failed 15 sec after Linux detected the video
card. True, there's a 10^-6 chance of it just happening to occur at
that moment, but the much more likely probability is that it was FC6.

It seems to me that too many of you are ready to deny that there
could possibly be an problem with FC6, for various reasons. Instead,
you collectively should take this occasion to figure out what could
cause the observed behavior. Since obviously I'm not going to get
another monitor and try the experiment again, the issue will have to
be attacked from the software side,by those of you who are familiar
with the drivers, etc.