Monitor destroyed by install

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Dec 12 12:21:46 UTC 2006

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> At 03:23 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
>> If how FC6 destroyed your monitor is _not_ important, then what's the
>> point posting about it? From a techies point of view, the how is the
>> most important part.
>
> You are right, from the point of view of those that are maintaining
> Fedora, and I hope those techies can track down the problem and fix it.
>
> I was, however, responding to those who were claiming that some piece of
> hardware was at fault, rather than FC6. Although I cannot prove that FC6
> installation caused the monitor to fail, the circumstances are such that
> any reasonable person would reach that conclusion, even without being
> able explain the details.

The monitor should have successful protection circuitry for botched
software interfacing incorrectly. The point you make regarding X having
problems with sending the wrong signal to the monitor should not happen
at the scale that it currently does. I see a lot more out of range
problems lately and one recently regarding the MGA card.

Anyway, the software needs improved and the vendor of the monitor needs
to know that their protective measures do not work. Both need to be fixed.

BTW - What driver does your video card use?

Jim

--
Never speak ill of yourself, your friends will always say enough on
that subject.