CUPS: FC5 and older can't see shared by FC6

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 22:42:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 16:08 +0000, Manuel Monteiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just set up a Fedora Core 6 i386 computer and added several printers to
> cups.
> Other computers with FC6 and MacOS X 10.3 are able to see all shared printer
> but computers with FC5 and FC3 can't see them.
>
> Any clues?
Well lets us start with FC3. It is my memory that FC3 did not use cups printing.
If I am wrong on that then the question is, were the printers set up
using system-config-printer and you clicked on sharing. That will not
work with cups printer sharing in my experience.

How did you set up the FC5 machine to use the shared printers. If all
the machines are on the same LAN then you should have done nothing. In
particular you should not have filled in the reference to the server in
the client.conf file. If you tried to configure the printers using
system-config-printer, unconfigure them locally.
If the printers are on different LANs then you must identify the server
in client.conf.
If reporters don't know that truth is plural, they ought to be lawyers.
-- Tom Wicker
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net