HELP - FC6 looks really bad (sometimes)

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Tue Dec 12 23:38:12 UTC 2006

I installed FC6 with KDE on my test box with a 17 inch 1024 x 768 crt,
Nvidia 5200 using the NV driver - looks beautiful!

I installed FC6 with Gnome on my laptop with a 15 inch 1280 x 800 LCD,
Intel 915 video - also looks very nice (much nicer than the XP I
dumped from the box)!

I installed FC6 with KDE on my daily use desktop (the one I really
care about) with a Princeton 19 inch 1280 x 1024 LCD, Nvidia 6200, and
it looks horrible! I tried the NV and Nvidia drivers, no difference.

My main complaint is that the fonts aren't anti-aliased, and they're
multi-colored. All the graphics look "harsh" compared to the other
boxes. There are lots of strange colored artifacts on the screen.

X insists on setting the display to 60 Hz vert refresh, when it only
works at 75 Hz. When I hard coded 75 Hz in xorg.conf, X sets the
screen resolution to 1280 x 800. It looks better, but I'd like to use
the rest of the screen.

I can fix the 60Hz problem with the system-config-display tool, but X
always resets it when I reboot.

I've tried all the font anti-aliasing options that KDE offers without
any success.

The box was previously running FC3 and the display looked fine. I was
hoping for an upgrade, not a downgrade.

I think I need some heavy work in xorg.conf, but I'm not sure what I
need. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John