What's The Limit

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Tue Dec 12 23:39:40 UTC 2006

Around 10:45pm on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 (UK time), Mikkel L. Ellertson scrawled:

> Are you sure there isn't an EOF? I would think that the EOF from the
> original file would be written to the CD. I am not sure how it would
> work with a binary file, but I suspect that it would work as well.
> After all, Linux (and UNIX) treat devices as files.
>
> Does using "dd if=/dev/hdb of=test.txt" access /dev/hdb differently
> then opening it in a text editor?

It seems there isn't an eof.  Writign a small text file this way to the
CD, and then copying it back using the dd statement you mentioned copies
back much more data - 614401 bytes.  The extra ones are all hex 00's.
Opening the file in vi includes all these extra bytes.

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 23:35:50 up 116 days,  2:02,  1 user,  load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.02