cpu overheating

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 00:18:58 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Gordon Messmer:
>
> Tim:
> >> Nothing, it was part of another conversation:  A minimal, headless,
> >> X-less, server installation installing graphical library files.
>
> Gordon Messmer:
> > Oh.  Sorry, I missed some connection.  To address that, then:
> >
> > # rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides libpng` | grep -v '^no '
> > cups-libs-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.11
> > # rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides cups-libs` | grep -v '^no '
> > cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.11
> > # rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides cups` | grep -v '^no '
> > redhat-lsb-3.0-8.EL
> >
> > So, there you go.  "libpng" is needed by cups.  "cups" is needed for
> > LSB conformance.  That's why you have graphics libraries on a headless
> > server.
>
> But CUPS isn't *needed* on a PC.  Sure, you might want it if you're
> printing.  But there's going to be a plethora of boxes that don't need
> to print.  A headless HTTP server, or mail server, or new server, etc.,
> just being some of them.  They won't need to print, or be printed to.
>
> Requiring CUPS is a bogus requirement.  Maybe CUPS should be a
> requirement if you're including printing support, but it shouldn't be,
> otherwise.
>
> CUPS, being just one example of this mentality.  We could "require"
> BIND, because Linux does need to resolve hostnames, but we don't (don't
> require *it* as the solution).
>
> Some people, and I don't mean you, but those putting together what they
> think is a minimal install list, have a strange idea about what minimal
> and required actually mean.
>
> But disregarding minimalism, there's still plenty of situations where a
> rather extensive installation won't need various things considered to be
> "required", but actually aren't.  And that bloats out installations to
> the point that we needlessly have to get multi-gigabyte hard drives to
> do moderately basic installations.

To the best of my memory, the Fedora devs are aware of this issue, and
_do_ address any such thing of significant size that can be addressed.

That's going on (no such threads currently active) over on the
fedora-devel list. If you have such a situation that can and should be
addressed, please email the dev list about it, and/or create a
bugzilla report. I am fairly certain that it will be addressed.

Peace.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud