Flagging recompiled packages to circumvent Yum Updates

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 13 05:05:19 UTC 2006

Michael wrote:
> Following Sven Knispel's instructions
> (http://cri.ch/linux/docs/sk0017.html), today I recompiled freetype with
> the bytecode interpreter turned on, only to be told by Puplet that new
> freetype packages were available, packages which turned out to be the
> very ones I'd just recompiled (freetype-2.2.1-16.fc6,
> freetype-devel-2.2.1-16.fc6).
>
> Is there a way of flagging a particular version of a package such that
> yum will prompt for an update only when a later iteration eventually
> arrives?
That would be the norm for rpm/yum/pup.
If you bumped your internal spec file before compile, then yours would
be newer. However, doesn't work for version side {ie 2.2.2} and it is
sometimes achieved with use of epoch, but I think then that epoch would
always appear higher. Asking in fedora-extras list you would find heaps
of packagers with the know'.

DaveT.