How much swap on laptop?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:02:57 UTC 2006

On 13/12/06, Les <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:
> On some disks, sectors are added as the diameter increases.  At least I
> should say, they used to.  Today most disks write to a small band of the
> overall disk, so I don't know if any of them do dynamic sectors based on
> track location.  However the speed difference was minimal anyway, since
> all tracks rotate at the same speed.  In fact, you could argue that in
> the dynamically sectored disks, having the swap at the outer segments
> would be faster since more data storage would exist without moving the
> head ( a time consuming process).

Makes sense.

> On trick I have done on heavy processing tasks is to put swap on a
> totally separate drive.  Thus the seeks were swap relative and required
> less access time.  In some cases this can provide dramatic increases in
> through put.  Also having a separate disk for tmp will provide you with
> some benefits depending on the type of software you are using.  But
> again, YMMV.

I'ld be unable to add another physical hard drive to the machine. I
could barely afford it with one drive!

> Today, if you wish to "tune" your system, you have to look at the
> overall task, the requirements and the architecture that addresses those
> requirements.  For general use (not intensive scientific computation or
> heavy duty 3d graphics manipulation) you will not see much difference
> with an OOB (out of the box) PC and Linux or Windows setup.  But if you
> are heavy into MMRPG's or VR, or scientific array manipulation or high
> level visualization (graphics), the picture changes, but then so does
> the level of personal knowledge and software analysis that is needed to
> make it all play nicely.

Well, I'll be using the machine for piloting interstellar craft while
recreating 3D renditions of their environment every 1/1000000 second,
a nessecity as they travel at .98 C. Well, maybe not, so I guess that
I could pass on the fine tuning :)

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/581/p_diddy.php
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/virus.html