Wireless and DHCP

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Dec 13 09:24:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I have an IBM ThinkPad T-30 with a Linksys wireless card which receives
> its signal from a Linksys wireless router.  It is working fine but what I
> would like to know is this: How can I get the card to automatically get an IP
> address upon bootup.  I am using Fedora Core 6 and wpa_supplicant for WPA2
> encryption. What file has to be edited in order to make this happen?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

system-config-network apparently still doesn't support WPA.  Your best
first bet is to use NetworkManager.  To try it,

 	# /sbin/service network stop
 	# /sbin/service NetworkManager start

You should then see the nm-applet icon in your task bar (at least in
GNOME--in KDE you may have to start the applet yourself).  Left-click to
select a network and fill in the keys at the prompt.

If it works,

 	# /sbin/chkconfig network off
 	# /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager on

to start NM at boot.

NM connects you on login, not at boot (yet).  I don't know how to manually
configure connect on boot to WPA.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences