[OT] Apache proxy pass query

Dan Track dan.track at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 13:36:09 UTC 2006

On 12/13/06, Brian Millett <bmillett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Track wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I just thought perhaps somebody may quickly know the answer to this
> > and it might be worth posting.
> >
> > I've got an internal app that when connecting to it e.g
> > www.example.com it redirects to www.example.com/login. After login the
> > url changes to have a session ID attached to it. Now I would like to
> > proxypass a url to this url e.g
> >
> > ProxyPass /mail http://www.example.com:8080/
> > ProxyPassReverse /mail http://www.example.com:8080/
> >
> > The problem I have is when I type in www.myurl2.com/mail I get
> > redirected to www.myurl2/login, and then I get a page not found error
> > (404). Could somebody please point out what I need to do to the above
> > lines to get it to rewrite the url to include the /login and
> > appropriate session id to "myurl2.com"
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Dan
> >

> You are being redirected to port 80, not 8080 it appears.  So yeah, page
> not found.  Are you doing this on the same machine?  Why not use
> NamedVirtualHosts and have it redirect to http://www.myexample.com ?
>
> Is that all of the lines in the configuration?  The redirect is done by
> the app?
>
> --

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I've learnt a lot today regarding this. I've
found out what the problem is the backend server has teh following in
its location header:

Connection: close
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:39:15 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
ETag: "d25-54-1ccba400"
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:40:32 GMT
Client-Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:37:43 GMT
Client-Peer: 192.168.12.2:8080
Client-Response-Num: 1

<SCRIPT>
this.window.location.href="/login"
</SCRIPT>

So I see the script is telling the browser to redirect to /login. Is
there a way in apache to tell it not to send this script through but
to append the "/login" to the request i.e become /mail/login?

Thanks in advance
Dan