nvidia vs kmod-nvidia

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 22:08:20 UTC 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 12:19 am, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Hadders wrote:
> > Hi people,
> >   I'm just wondering why the Linux group prefers the livna kmod-nvidia
> > driver for Linux over nVidias downloadable driver?
> >
> > Is it because linva offers kernel specific versions? with smp?
> >
> > Just curious, not trying to start a war here ;-)
> >
> > Hadders
>
> What was stated (or something close to the words) by some that work with
> the X server is that NVidia installer version will overwrite files from
> the Mesa package or put it in a location which is not the norm. The
> Livna version of the drivers are supposed to place the files in the
> appropriate place and not overwrite mesa libraries and other packages
> files.

This is the main reason I use livna instead of the nvidia installer. I had a
bad experience trying to remove the nvidia driver to go back to the nv one,
due to the fact the nvidia installer over-writes files. With the livna rpms,
it is trivial to remove.

The other reason I prefer it is once I've added livna to my repo list, and
installed there driver I can forget about it, getting new drivers
automatically. Yes, there is a delay after nvidia releases new drivers, but
it usually not more than a few days. I can wait that long. ( If you are
desperate its not actually that hard download the livna srpm and build your
own, using the nvidia tarball anyway.)

I also use the yum kmod plugin, which means I won't if a new kernel is
released I won't get it until all the kmod-XXX packages I have installed are
also available. very useful.

cheers Chris