NTFS write problem

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 23:35:31 UTC 2006

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:

> I've recompiled NTFS module with write support, and mounted my ntfs
> volume in 'rw'. But when I try to 'mkdir' I always have the error 'the
> filesystem is read-only'

The in-kernel module is still very limited in what it can do:

    Still mostly read-only, but with safe file overwrite support on all
    Windows versions including changes to the file size (uncompressed,
    unencrypted, non-sparse files only).
    -- http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/15/29/

In other words, it's not full re-write, and can't mkdir.

As has been suggested, go with the NTFS-3G driver.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Top Tip: If you are being chased by a police dog, don't
aprilcottage.co.uk | try to get away by crawling through a tunnel, going onto