swap space in a file?

Are there nice simple foolproof instructions somewhere that would let me add
more swap space to my system by using an ordinary file as swap (I don't want to
repartition the disk). Seems like the device mapper voodoo might work for
this, but my brain is too tiny to figure out how on my own :-).

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.